Consumed by humans for medicinal purposes for over 3,000 years, hemp seeds are easy to digest whether they’re roasted, raw, or cooked. In this article, we’ll explain how the ground seeds create hemp protein and the health benefits associated with the plant-based powder. Then, we’ll lay out the five best brands worth a try in 2019.
Image from Amazon
Before you can find the best brand on the market today, you may need to know how this plant-based protein can help you. Find out if it’s right for your needs with the following frequently asked questions.
1. What is hemp protein?
Protein from the hemp plant (Cannabis sativa) is commonly used as a supplement for athletes, bodybuilders, or anyone trying to alter their weight. A popular powder, the protein is made from grinding hemp seeds into a fine mixture. It tastes nutty and earthy and is often added to smoothies or protein shakes.
Hemp seeds and the protein made from them are an excellent source of:
Hemp has a wide variety of uses, and the seeds are also exceptionally nutritious. The plant is rich in protein, healthy fats, and other minerals.
2. Can this type of protein make you fail a drug test?
Although hemp is closely related to marijuana, the two plants are not the same. Hemp products do not contain high enough levels of THC, which is the ingredient in weed that causes the psychoactive effect, to make you feel “high.” The tiny trace levels of THC in hemp isn’t enough to make you fail a drug test, even if you eat it in large quantities.
3. Is hemp better than whey protein?
While hemp contains 50% protein and is easy to digest, whey content can reach as high as much as 99% protein. However, keep in mind that whey is a byproduct from cheese. People who don’t eat dairy or are lactose-intolerant must refrain from whey, as it contains remnants of lactose. Hemp is a plant-based protein, which makes it even easier to digest than dairy for all human stomachs and safe for vegetarians and people with dairy restrictions.
4. Why hemp?
Hemp comes with tons of health benefits. It contains all 20 amino acids, nine of which are essential for optimal human health. No other plant-based source offers as much protein. Science shows hemp can prevent osteoporosis and even boost your heart health. Plus, hemp doesn’t have the same saturated fat and cholesterol levels as whey.
A study even found that it contains similar amino acids as other top-quality protein sources, such as soy and egg whites. Depending on the brand of protein powder you buy, a single serving (1/4 cup or 30 grams) contains over the equivalent of 15 grams of protein and around 120 calories. It’s less protein than soy or pea-based powders, but also less processed.
5. How much protein powder do I need?
The amount of protein powder you consume depends on your needs, size, age, goals, and activity level.
6. How do I store the powder?
Hemp powder, or any other protein with fat content, must be stored in the refrigerator after opening.
How We Reviewed
To find the best brands available in 2019, we researched the basics people are looking for in protein powder to see serious gains. With this information in mind, we found top brands that both experts and customers adore. Each of the following products was well-researched.
How We Reviewed
Average bags or containers offer around a pound of powder for an average price, whereas larger containers are more expensive. The highest prices are the 7-pound containers.
How to Choose the Best Hemp Protein
Although many people choose hemp powder for their protein needs because it’s an all-natural, plant-based product, there are many reasons you may use hemp. Health professionals believe people with a wide range of conditions can benefit from the plant, and you may use it for the following benefits:
It’s also ideal for weight loss and gain, depending on how you use it. Bodybuilders and people who want to increase their mass use protein powders for serious gains, but some people take advantage of the amino acid content for weight loss. In a smoothie, it’s the perfect way to reduce food cravings post-workout and allow your muscles to heal. A protein needs calculator can help you find the right serving size for you.
For the best powder, look for over 50% protein by weight. The ingredient list should ideally include the only hemp, and the amount of nutritional benefits depends on the ingredients included.
The taste isn’t so great, and hemp doesn’t mix with water easily. For this reason, people mix the powder in the following foods:
Top Hemp Protein Brands in 2019
- Cultivated for 12,000 years, hemp is a powerhouse of nutrition. One serving of Navitas Organics Hemp Powder provides 13g protein, 60% DV magnesium, 40% DV iron and 25% DV fiber!
- Milled from cold-pressed hemp seeds, Navitas Organics Hemp Powder is naturally 50% complete protein by weight.
- Great source of essential fatty acids, which are necessary for optimal functioning. Hemp contains the ideal ratio of omega-3 to omega-6 fatty acids for our bodies!
- Blend easily into smoothies, shakes, dips and baked goods.
- USDA Organic, Kosher, Non-GMO, vegan, gluten-free.
Navitas powder is our top pick because it’s organic, contains tons of health benefits, and is ideal for gluten-free and vegan people. Mix it in anything, from a smoothie to any recipe that calls for flour.
Nativas is made using 100% hemp seeds, which grow on a small, Canadian family farm. It offers 50% protein by weight, fiber and minerals, and all nine amino acids.
Manufacturer warranty may be available.
Nutiva Organic is 100% raw powder full of ingredients to boost energy and health. It’s clean, vegan-friendly, and uses BPA-free packaging.
Nutiva cold-pressed their hemp seeds to create a nutrient-dense blend. It’s full of fatty acids, amino acids, edestin, protein, omega 3, antioxidants, and contains 8 grams of fiber.
- 20g of Organic Plant-Based Protein, 4.5g Omegas 3&6
- Only 2 ingredients
- Certified USDA Organic, Certified Non-GMO, Vegan, Dairy free
- B Corp Certified, Made with renewable energy
- Mix with bananas, peanut butter, cacao and your favorite non-dairy beverage for a super treat!
Manitoba Harvest contains the most protein and lowest carb content of any powder on this list. The plant-based nutrition is perfect before a workout, and it tastes great in smoothies.
Manitoba Harvest Hemp Yeah is unsweetened and completely organic. With over 20 grams of protein, only two ingredients, and omega 3 and 6, the product is finally vegan-friendly and made using renewable energy sources.
- ✔ SAY YES to MORE ENERGY for PRE or POST-WORKOUT. Incredibly nutritious, loaded with essential amino acids. Planted based protein for fast absorption and high in fiber. GET THIS PROTEIN NOW!
- ✔ UNIQUE PATENTED UPGRADED FORMULA of HEMP PROTEIN and GINSENG EXTRACT Boosting Absorption - extracted with innovative techniques preserving purity. Try this highly effective natural supplement.
- ✔ YOUR BEST ENERGY SOURCE for PRE- and POST WORKOUT: Get the burst of energy you need to carry out your daily activities with NATERA Hemp Protein powder. Contains all the essential amino acids your body needs and is not able to generate on its own. The purest and thoughtfully sourced hemp seeds is the BEST QUALITY.
- ✔ EASILY DIGESTABLE PLANT PROTEIN, BETTER than WHEY PROTEIN or any other VEGAN PROTEIN - Blend of Highest Quality, Clean Natural Certified Plant-Based Proteins – Mixes better, digest better, and works better! NATURAL, NON-GMO, MOST VEGAN FRIENDLY SUPPLEMENT - Gluten Free - Dairy Free - Hormone Free - Preservative Free. Contains ideal ratio of omega-3 to omega-6 fatty acids. Bright nutty flavor, blends easily into smoothies, shakes, dips and baked goods.
- ✔ LOADED with OMEGAS - SOURCED FROM HEMP PLANT ONLY...NOT FISH! Add this in yogurt, oatmeal and baking. HOW DOES IT TASTE? Hemp protein has a nutty plant vegetable flavor to it - slightly nuttier than flax. Raw hemp protein powder is straight hemp, kosher, soy, and gluten free. If you like greens, you will love hemp protein. If you are not used to the nutty, grassy taste you may not like it, but don't worry. We have recipes to make it more delicious. TRY NOW!
Perfect for pre and post workouts, Natera is delicious and loaded with health benefits.
High in fiber, this plant-based protein aids digestions and is absorbed for immediate results. It has 15 grams of protein, 9 grams of carbs, and high in omega 3 and 6. Natera is vegan, gluten-free, and completely natural.
Our top pick is Navitas 100% Hemp Protein Powder because it’s ideal for the widest range of people, whether you want to gain or lose weight or use it in baked goods or smoothies. The taste is great, and the ingredients are top-notch.
Featured Image from Amazon